Monday 1 June 2015

Day 1 Lisbon to Vasco Das Nacoes 1st June

We had a most interesting taxi ride to the cathedral. The driver showed us the gentle art of tail gating and driving with no hands on the steering wheel, much to our horror. We arrived safely despite our drivers best efforts to kill us.
 




Yotty lit a candle for us all and we picked up our pilgrims passports.



Then we went outside to find our first yellow arrow to guide us on our way. It did not look much, but it was of huge significance to us.




Then it was time to put one foot in front of the other for the next 30 days.



  

Getting out of Lisbon was the same as any other city,endless streets and hard under foot, it did not take long to find our first dog on a blog. any dog that looks that good in a class car like a Fiat 500 gets my vote (I drive a 500). Wish I had not admitted that, but in a strange way I feel better for confessing!




I do not know why but I had this feeling that they were expecting us.



Continuing on we walked over the cobbled streets of Lisbon. By now it was getting rather hot and I think we were getting a taste of things to come; it really makes you realise the sense of getting up early and beating the noon day sun.




We soon arrived at our hotel which I have to say is very nice and it was not long before Barney trashed our room.


We had a quick freshen up then it was time for a beer and we walked around Torre Vasco de Gama. This whole area was developed for Expo 98 so it is very modern, it is worth noting that we have not seen any other Peregrinos as of yet, and I do not think we are going to see many walkers until we reach Porto in 14 days time,such a contrast compared to my last Camino, by now I would have seen loads of walkers.



As some of you may know I am rather partial to a good old fashioned tart and there is none finer than a Portuguese one, and it was not long before we had sought some of the beauties out, so tasty !!



Then it was time for something to eat. We found a lovely restaurant on the waterfront and just to be different piled into some delicious garlic prawns ,a fine steak washed down with a chilled Rosé. I cannot help but think I have been here before, I am just so predictable.






Today has been a long day and we are all tired; it has only been a 5 mile walk which I think under the circumstances has been a wise move. Tomorrow we have a 20 mile walk ahead of us so it will be an early start for us and I think a tough day in the making, as much of the walking is on roads.

Yotty is sporting the first blister. One of many I suspect before this walk is over.




Stats for today.

Walked 5 miles

376 miles to go to Santiago













































12 comments:

  1. If Yot pays as much attention to his blisters as his stomach, this walk will be a doddle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is keeping a wary eye on them Harv as I am

      Delete
  2. Yesssss! And so it begins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The end feels a long way off John !!!

      Delete
  3. Peter, I love your blog already!
    Buen camino peregrino!

    Ps. it looks like Yotty needs some super socks..

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you are off ... to lose - and find - yourselves on the Camino. Buen Camino!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you were with us Agnes I think we might need your medicine cabinet !!!

      Delete
  5. Epic start to the blog, PJ.
    I wonder if you'll eat as many prawns as miles you cover? Or more likely drink as many glasses of rose!
    Boa sorte, x

    ReplyDelete
  6. And so my evening reading begins! So looking forward to the comments and pictures. Look after yourselves enjoy the next month of sunshine, beer, food, wine..........wish I was there! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to have you back following us Soraya x

    ReplyDelete