Thursday 11 June 2015

Day 11 Mealhada to Agueda

Had a good nights sleep and was ready for the challenge when Yotty knocked on my door at 0415.
It was to be another cloudy day of which the majority of time was to be spent on Tarmac



The first village we came to was Semandelo, when you walk through the villages in the early hours all you can hear is dogs barking, so many are tethered and just used as guard dogs, it is very sad to see them, I suspect they have no life at all.





Not sure if Yotty was giving me the thumbs up or hitch hiking.
We had our first break at Rotaroria. We had some almonds, a roll and water, we know how to live.



We walked through another industrial estate. I wish I had bought my business cards!!!
It is sad to see so many empty derelict houses as we walk through the villages.



This was home from home.


I say chaps could you tell me the time?


We progress through 3 small villages where there was not much of note to photograph .





We had been walking on roads for over 4 hours.
Time for some cats.



These two dogs took a real shine to Yotty.



We stopped for a drink and some tarts at Aquado de Baiixo .


Not the best we have had, anyway who should walk in? Correct! Oscar it was good to see him as we had not seen him yesterday.


We were now on the last part of todays walk as we passed through another industrial estate .




There is Oscar again.
Time for dog on a blog.


My right knee started to play up during the last 2 miles, power for the course I suspect, this road is punishing.



We crossed over the river into Agueda.




Time for a beer and some water.



We walked up the hill to find our accomodation.


I asked if I could get my laundry done and was directed to the washing machine.


We out and had some where we met some other perigrinos and we also saw Steve who had been to hospital as he got a serious infection in his foot, having seen that blister I am not surprised, though it was not that causing a problem


Today has not been the nicest of walks, I suspect the next three days are going to be similar as we approach Porto, I know it will get better as we walk along the coast which I am looking forward to.
The weather is forecasting rain on Saturday and Sunday, I have a feeling we will be wishing the sun back.
It has not been easy to find photo opportunities as it has been the usual villages and eucalyptus trees.
Yotty is holding up well I am pleased to say
Tomorrow, we will be having a lie-in as we have a shorter walk of ten miles. Bliss!

Stats for today 

Walked 16.20 miles 

199 miles to Santiago

Distance covered 182 

In another 8 miles we will be halfway !!!

That does not include the walk after Santiago to Finisterre.

Tarts consumed 45










































































7 comments:

  1. I've been away for a few days on business and every now and then my mind went back to you and how you're coping. As soon as home I had to get in front of the screen and get up to date on your proceedings. I can't believe what you're putting yourselves through. I get exhausted just thinking of the hot airport on arrival in Portugal, very strong and brave. I'd struggle just to be chauffeur...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still going strong Sweda .Wish you were here,even if you don't'

      Delete
  2. Keep the blog going boys. I know it's hard work but it's a lifeline to us at home. Yotty's dog was a real little sweetie. You are doing so well and so nearly halfway. Amazing. Keep it up and doing well on the tart front..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tart count will continue to rise,especially when Matt arrives on Sunday

      Delete
  3. PJ when you reach Porto you might wish again for those business cards as our head office is there! Good to see the balance restored with a few cat on the blog moments!Doing brilliant both of you!!....violent thunderstorms forecast here so you're definitely better off there.....looking forward to next instalment of horticultural times!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cannot wait to get to Porto for a couple of rest days Chris.
      Still going strong

      Delete
  4. It makes my feet tiered just reading 'the blog'...

    ReplyDelete