Tuesday 23 June 2015

Day 21 Tui to Redondela

Heather and I decided we would get up early and beat the sun, the lads decided they would have a 
lie in, so Yotty fans again he is not on the blog very much today.



The clocks went forward when we entered Spain so we lost yet another hours sleep, I have had 6 hours sleep in the last 48 hours .


We had walked 6 miles before the sun came up.


Two lovely pups made theirselves known to us, so they are todays DOB, they were really were the sweetest of dogs


But so was this one.


After an hour we ended up walking through another industrial estate.





The road went on for ever. I would say it took us 30 minutes to clear the estate; it was horrible, what a terrible introduction to the Camino for Heather. 
I was getting worried as we had no supplies and little water and it was a Sunday, were any cafes going to be open? Thankfully we found one open and had a bacon roll and bought water.
I have to say that the lack of sleep combined with the heat was beginning to punish me, I felt listless. All I wanted to do was sleep.



We made sure we stopped every five miles, I had promised Paul who is Heathers boss we would go easy on Heather, I think the breaks were more for my benefit. He need not have worried as Heather acquitted herself with honours.




We had 6 miles to go when we set off again, a climb was ahead of us, it only took 15 minutes to reach the top, yet again I was soaked in my own perspiration it was so unbelievably hot.




We had another break as the sun was taking its toll big time, we sat outside a bakery I was praying they would sell Portuguese tarts, sadly they didn't .




We only had three miles to go but I was dreading setting off, it as it was 1 o'clock and the sun was telling me that only mad dogs and Englishman go out in the noon day sun.





We had a mile to go when I upped the pace, I had to get us out of the sun, Heather rose to the challenge, we had decided to stop at the first cafe we came to in Redondela for lunch as Heather had set her heart on some white wine. At last it was over, we had walked over 100 miles in 5 days in the hottest conditions I have ever experienced, what a team.




We waited 90 minutes for the lads to arrive, I went off to meet them as they entered the town, I was relieved to see them. Steve had teamed up with them.




We had water and wine lined up for them.





Which they duly drank and of course we joined them.
We said goodbye to Steve and got two taxis to our Casa Rural, we were in for a treat.



Our first port of call was the bath.


I then lay on my bed to do the blog and immediately fell asleep, hence the blog not getting done yesterday.
Woke up in time for dinner which coincided with the sun setting.




We had a superb evening in the finest of surroundings.





What a spot, we had struck gold, we did not need to get up early as we only had 11 miles to walk the following day so we decided to make the most of the evening and believe you me we did!!


Normally we go to bed and our rucksacks are packed ready to go, I awoke to this sight, which I think speaks volumes.


What a superb evening we had.

Stats for the day.

Walked 21 miles

Distance covered 330 miles

Distance to Santiago 40 miles

Tarts none had









































































1 comment:

  1. PJ under the umbrella; that's my PJ...

    ... and so is the last photo!

    ReplyDelete