Saturday 6 June 2015

Day 6 Golega to Tomar

I awoke at 0400 had a quick shower, a spot of breakfast and was on the road by 0415. I had made my mind up that I would be in Tomar by noon. I had 20 miles in front of me.


I had not slept very well and I felt exhausted before I had even started. I was very envious of Yotty tucked up in bed and I suspect he was envious of me walking. I did not see a soul as I left this lovely town.




I was soon on country roads in total darkness, all I could hear was the sprinklers in the fields irrigating the crops. I passed through Casa Caetano and soon came upon Quinta Cardigan which is an old royal palace. It was stunning, it was too dark to take photos that would do it justice.



The Rio Tejo came into view briefly.


Then I was back onto farm tracks surrounded by tomato plants.




After a while I entered Vila Nova Barquina, the camino signs were getting quite difficult to locate.



My enemy the sun was rising fast but at least I all ready had six miles behind me.



I came across the cow on a blog in the most unlikely of places Guy, I hope you like this one.


There are always beautiful, colourful trees to be seen .


Dog on a blog,smile old chap!!!!



It was time for quick break, my feet were hurting.


I walked on 30 minutes through Barquina .



Before long I entered a massive eucalyptus forest with tracks  branching off everywhere and the sign posting was very hard to pick up to put it mildly, I was relying on my sense of direction a lot of the time, thankfully it did not let me down even though I deviated from the route I ended up in the right place.





Then there was one.


I came across this little fellow.


I eventually cleared the forest and started to walk on the busy N 110 into Tomar, it was going to be gutty slog, the sun was already well and truly up and I still had a long way to go. I got my first 'buen camino' from a Spanish perigrino, she was much older than me but she showed me a clean pair of heels,I came across her 3 times I always knew she was coming as she was singing all the time.


The girls from European the moment you have been waiting for: the goat on a blog.

 

It was a boring walk into Tomar, the sun was really getting hot by now and it was taking its toll on me.





I thought it would never end, by now I was desperate for some shade so I stopped at a bar and drank over a litre of water and felt very guilty when I had a fine tart, what was I going to tell Yotty?




If I am honest I was nearly done for; I had walked over 18 miles and I was spent. I was dreading going back outside in the heat.



At last I was in the outskirts and the end was in sight.





What a beautiful place this is, it is a historic Templar town which I hope to explore later with Yotty.



Our hotel came into sight and it was not a moment too soon. I had covered 20.5 miles by 1200.



Had quick shower then went into town with Yotty for lunch, I am pleased to say his leg is feeling a bit better. It was good to see him .



We returned to our hotel had a quick snooze and then went rubber necking, I will let the photos speak for themselves.






By now Yotty was aching for a tart as I was already one ahead of him.



So we went off to find some. He clearly has an eye for a fine tart



Today has been a tough day, I cannot remember when I have been so hot, I had really hoped by getting up early I would beat the sun, sadly that was not the case, I pray tomorrow will be easier, it is another 20 mile walk.
Yotty is still limping and has to take it easy and will be getting a taxi again tomorrow, he passed me today in his taxi ( did not stop )
Another 0400 start .

Stats for today

Walked 20 .5 miles

Walking time 6hr 45 minutes 

95 miles covered.

287 miles to Santiago

The most important statistic 27 Portuguese Tarts




















































































5 comments:

  1. My word what a lonely, tough existence you've had to endure, the ever oppressive, enervating heat. My heart goes out to you; I am constantly amazed at the sheer hours of toil you have had to bear... and anyway Yot, how's PJ getting on..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations guys, you're doing fantastically, 27 tarts! Keep up the good work!

    ps PJ, thought the Spanish peregrino was going to show you a clean pair of shorts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay...........we got a goat!!

    Your blog is very much the hot topic in the office and we all look forward to the catch up every day.

    Your doing very well and Barney was back in the office this morning teasing us at how yummy the tarts are!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richy and I are totally jealous Pete. It sounds like a hard slog but I'm sure a fine tart at the end of the day makes it all worth it.

    ReplyDelete