Saturday 13 June 2015

Day 13 Albergaria-A-Velha to Sao Joao de Madeira

I looked out of the window at 0500 and my worst fears were to be realised, the forecasters had got it right: it was pouring with rain. So out came the wet weather gear. Yotty knocked on my door at 0530 and we had breakfast and were on the road by 0550.




We had decided to leave later than usual as we were going to walk on a busy road and I did not to take the risk of not being seen by the oncoming traffic in the dark.
The first town we came to was Albergaria-A -Nova, we were relieved to get there as it meant we were to move onto the side roads. We were getting soaked by the spray thrown up by the fast approaching lorries.




Every bit of land in this country is used to grow some kind of crop on.



A couple of beauties.


It was still raining as we walked through Bemposta.




Time for dog on a blog, this collie was absolutely beautiful, not that I am biased towards this lovely, intelligent breed of dog!!!





Not biased, honest!!





We had our first break at Canico, we needed some Tarts.




They were delicious, in fact they were so delicious we had to have another two.



We were joined by Demetrio who has walked ten caminos clocking up over 5000 km, he walks so fast and always over takes us


It was still raining when we left and we were tempted, I can tell you.





The rain was getting heavier but it did not dampen our spirts.



Demetrio went hurtling past us again as we entered Travanca.









The last major town we were to pass through was Oliveira de Azemeis, I could see our salvation as we approached, it was a very vibrant town. We stopped for a break as we had walked over 12 miles and if I am honest I was getting very tired.







We had a look around the local market, the vegetables were stunning.





We still had over 5 miles to go, it was getting very hot wearing our wet weather gear, I could not wait to get it off.



We came across this written in the dirt, Demetrio had left his mark.


We walked through two more small villages.




Girls at European don't say I am not thinking of you.


We at last arrived in Sao, 99% of the walk had been on Tarmac and my legs had taken enough punishment for the day, I was aching to take my boots off.


We checked into our hotel at 1330 had a quick shower and then had lunch at the Michelin rated restaurant in the hotel; it was superb. We had a three course lunch and wine for £50.





Today has felt like a long day, walking on Tarmac all the time saps you, the rain did not help we just have to get tomorrow out of the way, the thought of walking 21 miles on roads again really fill us full of dread but at least when we reach Porto we have got two days off.

It is so hard to find anything of interest to photograph to show you, that will all change I hope when we get on the coastal route to Santiago.

What amazes me last year my feet were covered in plasters and I was in agony with my big toe hurting the whole Camino. This year, despite the roads, my feet have got away with it, not a plaster to be seen, unlike Yotty's.


This is going to be a walk of two halves, the first being the journey to Porto and the second being the coastal route where we will be joined by friends as we approach Santiago. Matt joins us tomorrow and Martin the Great Dane joins us on the 16th.

The last 14 days Yotty has been my companion and I would like to congratulate him on completing this tough stage, when you consider he has never done any distance walking before and only decided to take this challenge on 6 weeks ago. He has been great company and displayed real guts and determination.Whats more he has put up with me !!!

Stats for today 16.7 miles walked.

209 miles walked

171 miles to Santiago.

51 Portuguese Tarts

0430 start tomorrow 














 











































































3 comments:

  1. I really felt for you both today. Enjoyed the blog - Gorgeous doggy! Doesn't everything look so dreary in the rain? Hope it is dry for you tomorrow. Best of luck. Tart tally totting up!! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. PJ & yotty well done today looked especially hard and very best of luck tomorrow for the long one.......Good to see a real farmers market!! Hope yotty is prepped for the arrival of Matt, the tart counts going to rise!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's strange and sweet to think that every time you see a goat, you think of us.

    Lots of love from the EOP team.

    ReplyDelete