Friday 26 June 2015

Day 25 Padron to Santiago

We arranged to meet at 0600, for the first time Yotty overslept, I think he had earned the right, so everyone else walked on and Martin and myself waited for him.



We had 15 miles to cover today and we were anxious to get to Santiago by 12 so we could attend mass.






We caught up with team at the first cafe we came to .




Only 10 miles to Santiago.



What a close knit team we had become.




Time for our last stop of the Camino.




We moved off for one last time,I do not know if I was happy or sad it was coming to an end.



I suspect this little chap had seen it all before.


With 3 miles to go we came out of some woodland turned a corner and there was Santiago, it was a wonderful moment and one I shall not forget in a hurry.


The wallk into Santiago is much nicer coming in from the south, as last year I came in from the east on the Camino Frances.




We were in the suburbs before we knew where we were.


Yotty powered ahead and lead us in.



Then there it was: the cathedral. I could see in Yottys face that all the blisters, walking on roads, shin splints, early starts, constant pain, tiredness and scorching heat had all been worth it for that wonderful glorious moment of pride and the realisation I took this on and won. I welled up, I then looked around and everyone was emotional. It is easy to forget that Steve has walked from Lisbon, Matt and Martin from Porto, Heather had covered over 70 miles, Louly had never walked over 5 miles, James and Phil had walked 25 miles and Christabell had walked 15, everyone had walked their own Camino and won.






We had 10 minutes to spare before mass.


Could not resist taking this photo of a priest looking at his iPad during mass, I wonder what website he was looking at?


We then went back to the square to take in the atmosphere and to take our boots off. I had sat in this very spot last year in the best of company.


The Lisbon perigrinos


We sat there for 30 minutes and then had lunch.





These photos are not staged we fell asleep at the table, it is not the first time it had happened. It just happened that someone took a photo of it. We were exhausted .




After lunch we checked into the Parador and I completed yesterday's blog as I am a day behind. I fell asleep 4 times doing it.
At seven we went out for dinner, I just wanted to go to bed.



Tomorrow morning James, Phil, Martin and Heather return home and Steve leaves for Barcelona.
It has been a pleasure and a privilege to have walked with you all and Buen Camino to you.
Matt, Yotty and myself will continue on to Finisterre so our journey is not over yet.
Louly and Christabell have got three days of rubbernecking ahead of them.
Tomorrow we are taking a day off before we leave for Finisterre.

Distance covered 360 miles

Distance to Finisterre 60 miles

I would like to end today by thanking these.


I have not had one blister or any problems with them at all, last year they were covered in plasters and I was in agony virtually the whole time with my big toe .
I would also like to thank these, what a fine pair of boots.


I will continue the blog until we leave.


























































3 comments:

  1. Sterling work PJ and Yot, love that shot of you both in the cathedral square, knackered but elated, and full marks to everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent achievement, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally found your blog - and have read every day's post through Santiago (when I stopped). Great stuff. It was a pleasure meeting you, Yotty and the rest of the crew - and fond memories of evenings in Agueda, Caldas de Reis and Santiago itself.

    What are you planning next? I am contemplating the Via de la Plata next year.

    Geoff - the short fat Welshman.

    ReplyDelete